Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Hulk in the Hospital

There were only three weeks left of the trip and one of the weeks would be dedicated to traveling around Europe. I went with some friends to the gym as normal before class to run for a bit, beer and potatoes are not the best recipe for trying to stay in shape. As I was running I started to feel a bit faint and pressed the pause button on the treadmill so that I could stop and sit down for a bit. That is the last thing I remember happening until three days later when I woke up in the Waterford hospital.
According to my friends and people who saw what happened I stopped the machine, stood there for a few seconds before I passed out, fell backwards and hit my head off the rowing machine behind the treadmill. I managed to give myself a concussion, crack my head open, burst my ear drum, fracture my cheek and jawbone and damage one of my facial nerves. For a while I was unable to talk or realize what was happening but apparently had some conversations with people later during the day and turned into a sass queen. For example, when the doctor was putting staples in my head he didn't really tell me what was happening. I don't remember this but my friend who was with me said he quickly explained what had done when he was finished and ran out of the room. I looked at her and said in the most offended and privileged tone, "did he...just put...STAPLES in my head??" I did not know that I was in the hospital or what was going on.
I stayed there for the rest of the week until I came to when my mom was flown over. I just woke up and suddenly knew what was going on. I was released for two days and spent it sleeping which I'm sure my mom was thrilled about. She comes to Ireland to watch me sleep, must be entertaining. Then I realized I could not move the left side of my face. I was driven back to the hospital and it turned out that the cheek and jaw fractures and the eardrum had damaged my facial nerve severely and they needed to strengthen it immediately. This is where the stories begin.
For the first week I was concussed and did not know what was happening. The second week I was pumped full of steroids. I took twelve tablets daily once I was released the second time meaning...I was on way more in the hospital. I was also aware of all the IVs unlike before. The combination of very strong pain killers, antibiotics, and steroids made me decide that I was the Hulk and that I needed to get out of the hospital. Two weeks in there was a pretty long time, to be fair. One of the first nights of the second week I got up, took my metal IV stands and started walking out of the Ward. I was quickly returned to my bed by the nurse where I promptly began trying to take the IVs out. When the nurse asked me what I was doing I declared that "the Hulk doesn't need your poison." The next morning I woke up with my head bandages sort of taped to the bed and the nurse filled my mom and I in on the shenanigans. It was a proud moment for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment