Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Horseback Riding Attempt

My study abroad philosophy was that I should try as many new things as possible. An opportunity presented itself which I had never tried before; Horseback Riding. My sister used to take lessons back in the States but the closest I ever got to the horse was honking the car horn at them to let her know I was ready to pick her up and get out of there. I am slightly nervous around the creatures. Robert Downey Jr. says it best in the second Sherlock Holmes movie, "They're dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle. Why would I want anything with a mind of its own bobbing about between my legs?" Despite the butterflies in my stomach I went along with a group of my friends for better or worse. The place we went to in Tramore, Ireland gave us some basic training then set us out on a trail...with my horse leading behind a young boy who seemed to be taunting me. Sorry I did not grow up around these animals and therefore could only show off my nonexistent skills kid. 
We trotted along through the woods and next to a beautiful lake. Apparently the woman in charge of our group was in the very back decided it was time to "gallop" or something along those lines. I was too busy looking at the scenery to start standing up and sitting down in time to the horses movements. So I just sort of bounced along while the horse did its thing. We went along the trail like this and finally returned to the arena to dismount our horses. This is when the real problem began. Everything went relatively smooth until I tried to walk. For one thing, my walk was incredibly similar to the old western movie cowboy style swagger walk. For another I was picking my legs up too high with each step and letting my knees somewhat buckle. Out of the whole experience the last thing I expected was to forget how to walk properly. Its funny the things people take for granted, like walking normally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment